Monday, November 23, 2009

An exerpt from Kitchen Klatter

I would like to share a poem I found int the May, 1959 issue of Kitchen Klatter. This poem struck me because my favorite grandparents are not in this world. With the Holidays fast approaching I miss them more. In fact, I miss them more and more the longer they are gone. When I was young I thought I would grow to miss them less. What a foolish child I was.

Return
Some day I shall go back again
To where my own things are,
Although the road is very long,
Past moon and sun and star.
I shall pass by the gates of pearl
And saints who sing of God,
And search until I find a street
Edged close with golden rod.
My mother will be waiting there,
Because God understands,
In the gray dress she used to wear,
With sewing in her hands.
And though great saints sit by,to learn
The wisdom of her talk,
She will forget them, when she hears
My footsteps on the walk.
She will spring up and drop her work,
And run to welcome me,
And tell me that my room is there
Just as it used to be.
she will not see that I am old
Or that my hair is gray,
But only smile-- "My dear,my dear,
How long you seemed away."
--Unknown

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely image to have in your mind as your life here on earth ends and your new eternal life begins! Thank you for sharing this with me!

    Sugar Pie Farmhouse Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete