Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas at itty bitty

Go Huskers!!!!


I was too bummed out last year to do much decorating for Christmas. It was the first year without Grandpa. My brother had decided to not move up. And it was the first year in itty bitty. I could not get it together. But, our town started a tradition last year which we enjoyed. Our community put up Christmas trees around our town square. We really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I did not go down and take our ornaments off the tree. So years of our Christmas decorations went where ever old Christmas ornaments go. I didn't have even one to put on our tree. So, I decided we would just make salt dough ornaments. Everyone has made these. Salt, flour, water. I discovered that you can microwave them to dry them out and if you use self rising flower, they will puff up really cute.















We just used regular old cookie cutters and some old craft paint I had laying around.
Now the biggest problem with us being in this little house is what to do with my rather large Christmas tree. There was only one option.







Well, you might as well see a little bit of the rest of the house. I was standing by the chair in the first picture to take this one. This cupboard was left in an old house that was on our Kansas property. Someday I will take some varnish to it. But for now, it functions to store the girls toys on the bottom and Andi an my makeup and hair supplies and some video tapes on top. I am learning that in this house, if it takes up space it must be used for some kind of storage function.
So, this is a lousy photo of the recycled windows by the cupboard. I've had these for at least 12 years. Maybe longer. It's hard to see but the window boxes are actually recycled drawers from an old sewing machine case. I just stuffed them with some clearance greenery. They are covering a little pass through my dad cut in the wall so Mom could see me when I was a baby. I've changed the curtain since this photo. I don't like it either. So, I need to get some more material and try again.


Chloe is up to something. The "cookies" are leftover ornaments. The orange and black hoddie was my grandpa's. I'm not sure why I keep it hanging around. I guess it makes me feel like he is still here.

Everyone always wants to know how we handle the sleeping situation. Well here it is. When we moved from Kansas City to Miltonvale, I bought these bunk beds. Jeff was really mad at me because They cost me about $2,000 dollars. I knew the boys were going to need good beds since they were going to have to share a room. I didn't want to worry about someone getting hurt or them breaking. I also got the extra long twin because I knew that boys would need leg room soon. What I didn't know until a long time later that they had messed up our order. They gave us 2 extra beds. Just enough for itty bitty. God knew what we would need. This has worked out for us. Part of me likes having it set up this way. I know that if we were to have an emergency I would be able to quickly get everyone out. Making the beds is an issue though. But, I guess I have to let some things go.

Merry Christmas from the Crayton 8. May God bring you Joy and Peace this coming New Year

3 comments:

  1. What a cute home you have, with a cute kitty! I like that window. I think maybe the solution to the curtain problem is not to go subtle, but to make it 'pop' with a complimentary color to your blue walls. That would be in the orange family. Orange might be too much, but peach would be pretty! Or you could go for yellow. Yellow is always so pretty with blue!

    I like the bunkbeds and you were wise to buy good quality ones. My boys slept in theirs for years--until their older brother moved out and the two younger ones got their own rooms. My husband actually had a friend cut a piece of wood to fit under the upper mattress. It was originally just on a wire frame, and we worried about the bigger boy crashing down on top of the littler one. (The big and little one are now 23 and 19, btw.)
    Have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job on using all of the space in your
    cute home...wishing you and your family a
    Blessed Merry Christmas...
    Sweet Blessings...
    Tonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sweet!

    Many Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete