Monday, September 26, 2011

Unschooling the type A personality way.

With school being in full swing it has taken several transformations. At first I started out very rigid in our day. Everything scheduled and planned. But unfortunately that did not go so well. The kids were at each others throats and fought me every minute. It was too frustrating.

So,we have gone to a more non-traditional route.I'm letting the kids basically chose the subjects that they are interested in. Then we explore.I'm learning a lot.

I worry if we are covering everything. Which is why I did not want to do school this way. And my type A personality loves the planning and structre that comes with the more traditional route. But the kids are no longer saying homeschool is stupid or boring. For the most part they are getting along. And When I say "what are you working on?" they usually have some interesting thing they have discovered. I find that they are often sharing with each other their books and knowledge gained. We have many conversations about how one subject relates to another. Or how what they are learning applies to real life.

I'm wondering if this is how God intended for us to learn?


I'm still learning how to incoporate math and language arts into our program.Joe is using http://www.pacsdoctor.com/MathTutor/MathTutorIntro.htm Evelyn and Caleb,I have yet to find a program that I like. We have been using http://aaamath.com/. But I am just not satisfied with it. I've been contmplating going back to IXL. I like that it runs along with state standards. And it sends me reports on what the kids are doing. Evelyn liked doing it last year becuase we were able to set goals within the program and she would get little rewards for accomplishing so many units.

Language Arts is just flying around on their blogs. I would like to incorperated a formal program. But I really believe that the more you write the better you get at being able to put your thoughts to paper.I'm really not sure that we have to identify past participles right now. I wonder what the early English lessons looked like?

No comments:

Post a Comment