Sunday, August 14, 2011

dissipation

Main Entry: dis·si·pate
Pronunciation: \ˈdi-sə-ˌpāt\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): dis·si·pat·ed; dis·si·pat·ing
Etymology: Latin dissipatus, past participle of dissipare, dissupare, from dis- + supare to throw
Date: 15th century

transitive verb 1 a : to break up and drive off (as a crowd) b : to cause to spread thin or scatter and gradually vanish dissipated — Andrew Feinberg> c : to lose (as heat or electricity) irrecoverably
2 : to spend or use up wastefully or foolishly <dissipated the family fortune in reckless business ventures>intransitive verb 1 : to break up and scatter or vanish dissipated> dissipated>
2 : to be extravagant or dissolute in the pursuit of pleasure; especially : to drink to excess

synonyms see scatter

I had to look up this word after reading Luke 21. Jesus talks about what we will be facing as we approach the end. I am amazed at how much I read, it seems ad if the whole Bible was written for just this time.

Dissipate: drive off, break up. I know so many people who have been through a church split. Now they no longer want to have anything to do with the Church. We as believers are becoming spread thin and many are turning from their faith.

To waste or spend foolishly: Self included I'm afraid. How much time have I wasted because I was fed up with our situation? How much garbage have I sat watching because I was captured by the storyline? Or trying to escape reality?

Pursuit of pleasure: Isn't this one of our constitutional rights? Of course I'm joking. But we have lost what happiness is. Our pursuit of happiness has been replaced with the pursuit of pleasure. I think some don't know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment