Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Let them go their own way.

My oldest daughter was tough! This kid challenged me even in the womb. For example: I was laying up against hubby. And she kicked so hard that she woke both of us up. I always said that if you would give her an inch,she would take a mile.

I didn't want to keep my thumb on her all the time.
I wanted to enjoy her.
Go shopping.
Teach her how to be a good mommy.
Be her friend.

Instead, I resented her. It would make me so angry that I could not give her freedom. I would get so frustrated that she would constantly push the limit. Constantly arguing. Constantly driving up strife.(Yes I realize my own folly in a lot of this.)

When she was 11 she said she wanted to be an artist.
By Andi.Age 17

I of course told her that there was no way. People who live as artist are very poor and if one would happen to make it,they are few and far between.

She left. Set out to prove me wrong.

She left. Under a cloud.

She left. An opportunity of a lifetime.

She left. Without our blessing.

She left. Determined to find her own way.

I should have helped her get there. I should have told her that she was the most amazing artist I have ever seen. I should have told her more how precious she was to me. I should have let her go her own way.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. I have one of those. Daughters. Headstrong. Artist. I am at a loss for words with your post. Praying.

    ReplyDelete